Join your Atalaya Elementary friends at the 2018 Desfile de Los Ninos / Pet Parade! Our theme is “turkey”, as in trotting, so join us and represent our school through the streets of downtown Santa Fe. Pets and turkey-themed costumes are welcomed, of course! Turkey Trot T-shirts provided. Chair: Chris Graeser (firstname.lastname@example.org)
We meet the morning of Saturday, September 8th at 8:30 AM in the New Mexico School for the Arts (St. Francis School) parking lot at Alameda & Paseo. Leave time to look for parking, and look for the Atalaya banner on the big wagon!
- Why hold a Kick-off event?
Teachers across the country report that nearly half of all children struggle with the transition to school. A Kick-off is a meaningful part of the transition process.
- It encourages on-time enrollment and lays a foundation for regular attendance throughout the school year.
- It provides an opportunity to build positive parent-teacher and parent-school relationships.
- It helps parents create relationships with other parents at their child’s school, encouraging them to become actively engaged in their children’s education.
- Starting the first day with a bang shows families that kindergarten is really a big deal!
A successful Kick-Off event has three components:
- An outdoor celebration with volunteers who welcome families
- An indoor welcome address by the school Principal
- An introduction to the kindergarten classroom and teacher
- A child’s transition into school sets the tone for their educational experience for many years to come. On the first day of school, every child should walk into the classroom feeling excited, ready to learn, and supported by the school, their parents, and their community.
Meet your child's teachers, say "hi" to friends, drop off school supplies, and enjoy a meal before school begins!
School supply lists can be found at: http://www.school-supply-list.com/schools/atalaya-elementary-santa-fe-nm-school-supplies-list-78255 or https://www.teacherlists.com/schools/43204-atalaya-elementary.
The Turkey Trot is the PTA's biggest fundraising event of the year, and it provides the bulk of funding needed to support Atalaya's teachers and students with supplemental funds and enrichment programming. This is our 11th year. That said, we need your help now more than ever! To launch a full-scale kick off this year's efforts, we will be meeting at the school on Thursday, August 9th at 3pm. Please join us if you can, and if you can't but are interested in helping, please let me know!
The next 6 to 8 weeks are critical for sponsorship solicitations. We have a great list of sponsors and contacts; however, we'll need as many hands on deck as possible to make this event a success as in years past.
If you are interested in helping but not willing to seek sponsorships, that's ok too! Please either attend the kick off meeting on Thursday, come to the first PTA meeting on August 21st, or email me back and let me know what you are willing/able to do!
Turkey Trot Tasks include:
- FUNDRAISING/SPONSORSHIPS (NOW THROUGH END OF SEPTEMBER/EARLY OCTOBER)
- POSTER / RACK CARD DESIGN
- ONLINE REGISTRATION (TBD)
- CITY PERMITTING, TRAFFIC PLAN, INSURANCE AND PORTA-POTTIES (TBD)
- DESIGNING/ORDERING T-SHIRTS
- COURSE MARSHALL & STATION VOLUNTEERS (20 volunteers needed on race day)
- WATER STATION (2-3 volunteers needed on race day)
- COURSE SET-UP (2-3 volunteers needed on race day)
- RACE TIMING (contracted this task, TBD)
- RUNNER CHECK-IN (1 CAPTAIN AND 4 OTHER VOLUNTEERS NEEDED DAY BEFORE & ON RACE DAY)
- RACE REGISTRATION (1 captain and 2 other volunteers needed on race day)
- T-SHIRTS TABLE (1 captain and 5 volunteers on race day)
- KIDS’ RUN COORDINATOR (Captain TBD)
- START/FINISH LINE (3 people to help give medals at finish line)
- RACE SNACKS (1 captain and 2 people to help set-up on race day)
- ATALAYA SEARCH AND RESCUE
- EMCEE (SUPER IMPORTANT JOB) (Need to recruit a local celeb to do this)
- PUMPKIN PIES ORDERING/PICK UP
- SET-UP AND TAKE DOWN
Thanks to all! Looking forward to seeing many of you and to a great school year!
Lisa Roach, Turkey Trot Committee Member. 505-362-8294
Tuesday's PTA meeting has been cancelled.
The monthly PTA Meeting is held in the Atalaya library on a Tuesday each month. It's generally the fourth Tuesday, but the date is subject to change based on the school calendar.
There is food and supervision for children in the cafeteria.
Come watch the 2nd grade musical performance in the Cafeteria at 5:30, and then join us in the Library for the meeting!
If you've asked yourself any of the following questions, this is the PTA meeting to attend!
What are the PTA's budget priorities for next year - academic enrichment? teacher support? school-wide events? all of the above? What are the expected shortfalls in the school budget and how can PTA funds help? I wonder if I could serve the PTA as a board member (yes, you know this is one of your questions!)? How's the spring raffle going and how much more do we need to raise? What are the upcoming end-of-year events at Atalaya?
Childcare and pizza for the kids in the school cafeteria during the meeting!
See you there!